The Montessori method is an educational method that aims to help every child to discover their potential. The Montessori method was developed by Dr. Maria Montessori, an Italian educator who began developing this method in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The Montessori method has been in use for over 100 years. The application of the Montessori method focuses on preschools and elementary schools. On this occasion you will be invited to get to know the Montessori teaching method more deeply.
The Montessori method is a method of children’s education whose learning is based on the theory of child development. This method aims to help children to reach and reach their potential in life. In this case, the Montessori method emphasizes children to be independent and active. The learning concept does not only focus on the theory given by the teacher, but also practices and collaborative games that can increase children’s creativity and activity.
The objectives of the Montessori teaching method are, among others:
- Montessori teaching methods can help parents in implementing effective learning patterns for their children. With effective learning, children can learn optimally and it doesn’t take a long time to learn a lesson because the pattern made is already effective.
- The Montessori teaching method can help children develop their potential. The potential possessed by children such as children’s intellectual, psychomotor and affective contained in children.
- The Montessori teaching method can help children’s potential to develop according to the process they go through. In addition, children can also be more sensitive to the tasks they have, so that they not only learn learning materials, but they also learn to be responsible for their education.
- The Montessori teaching method can teach children how to learn effectively and optimally by playing games. In its application, the teacher does not only carry out learning activities, but in this learning method the teacher will also invite students to play while learning.
- Montessori teaching methods can help children to develop their skills. In this case, students are free to be creative and share their creative ideas. However, the teacher still supervises the children’s work.
- The Montessori teaching method teaches children to be able to concentrate and be creative with their abilities.
- The Montessori teaching method will teach children to get used to making decisions for themselves.
In the Montessori teaching method, students will be taught to be able to carry out habits that are carried out independently every day, such as making beds, throwing out trash around us, washing dishes after eating, and so on. Not only that, in the Montessori teaching method, students will also be invited to play with various kinds of interesting games that can educate children.
Every teaching method applied by the teacher has a principle. After getting to know the Montessori teaching method more deeply, you will know the principles of this method, which include:
- The approach taken by the teacher is individual in the student learning process.
- There is a combination of academic and social education.
- The Montessori method will increase children’s curiosity, so they will be motivated to explore.
- The concept of abstract learning is presented by the teacher in real terms.
- In the learning process, the teacher will teach students about good skills and routines at school and they will apply it in their daily lives at home until they grow up.
In the learning process, the Montessori teaching method teaches 5 main areas of learning, including:
- Language ability
In this case, the teacher will train the children to be able to communicate well in front of many people. In PAUD schools, teachers will invite students to sing in front of the class or tell their life experiences in front of the class. You can start with small things, there is no need for coercion in the beginning. You can give a reward if there are children who dare to appear in front.
That way, the other children will be motivated to appear in front of the class. In addition to being trained to communicate, the teacher will also introduce letters to students through games. With the games you make, they don’t feel like they are learning, but playing which they will remember what was done in the game.
Mathematics that will be taught to children is not a lesson that includes addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division. In this case, mathematics will be taught to students such as understanding the size of large and small objects, the shape of objects, recognizing numbers, and so on. On this occasion, you can make blocks or puzzle games or you will teach students about numbers and counting through song games.
On this occasion, students will be taught to be polite, learn manners, how to do good, queue up, respect and appreciate each other, and learn to be responsible for what they have done. As a warm-up you can teach them how to wash their hands properly, brush their teeth after eating, and other hygiene activities that concern them. With the culture that has been taught by the teacher while at school, it can shape the child’s personality to be better and of higher quality.
When children are aged 3 years and over, they will do many things that sometimes make parents upset because of their behavior that likes to mess up the contents of the house. Maybe most parents and teachers will feel annoyed with the behavior of children who are too active, but understand the work of the child. With this Montessori method, children will be introduced to several toys that will train their sensory senses. That way, their sensory abilities will be trained properly without causing chaos in the home or classroom.
- Routines Do in Daily Life
On this occasion, children will be taught various skills that will make them more independent, such as how to wear socks, wear shoes, button shirts and pants. In addition, children will also be taught how to eat well, such as how to hold plates and glasses. Through the application of the Montessori method in children’s learning activities, the teacher will introduce the surrounding environment to children, such as how to water plants, plant plants, and throw garbage in its place.
This is an explanation of the Montessori method. By getting to know the Montessori teaching method more deeply, you can see that this teaching method can be applied by parents at home. That way, the abilities and skills possessed by children can develop more optimally.